A toll road is a privately or publicly built road for which the driver is required to pay a fee or toll. The place where road toll is collected called “Toll Plaza”. Every toll plaza uses vehicles for mandatory road maintenance and other operational activities.
The tasks performed by different vehicles are as detailed below,
Patrolling vehicles: These vehicles have to patrol an assigned stretch of the highway daily. Also, the patrolling vehicles shouldn’t exceed a particular speed limit and they have to report to the concerned authorities on their task completion. Based on patrolling workers feedback, the authorities will take necessary steps for maintaining the highway.
Ambulances: In case of accidents on highway, the plaza near to the Accident spot will send the ambulance. Ambulance is expected to reach the accident spot as early as possible. Because of the communication gap, the ambulances sometime move in the wrong direction, resulting in delay in ambulance reaching the spot, which many times turn fatal for the victims. So, monitoring of ambulances is a vital task of toll plaza authorities.
Towing vehicles and cranes: As and when the vehicles break-down or gets punctured on the highway, the drivers contact the highway maintaining authorities for help. The authorities send the towing vehicle or crane to the spot and are expected to reach the sport quickly.
Water tankers or water carriers: Plants in the median strip have to be watered and maintained by concerned toll plaza. So, watering all the plants and keeping them in good health is the responsibility of a nearby plaza. Scheduling and managing the activities of water tankers is a challenge for the authority.
Cabs/Cars/ any other vehicle for workers transportation: As the toll plazas are located in remote places, all the employees have to be transported according to the schedule to and from toll plaza. Also, the local workers who maintain the plants are from the work sites. Maintaining the schedule of these vehicles is a challenge for the authorities.
- Vehicle’s real-time location info.
- Route and schedule adherence.
- Dynamic vehicle and route allocation system.
- Support to toll plaza owners for complying to highway service.
- Guidelines and regulations.
1. Real time vehicle tracking: Each of the vehicles at Toll Plaza has been assigned with a particular task and while performing these tasks, they have to be tracked. The authorities will get the real time status update of the work.
2. Patrolling stretch allocation: Each patrolling vehicle is assigned with a specific stretch on highway to be covered in a given time interval (daily/weekly). Maintaining the good health of highway is a vital activity of the builder.
3. Fuel Pilferage: The patrolling staff might cover a small portion of the highway in the stretch allotted to them, with this solution only allowed fuel quantity can be dispense according to their daily report and mileage covered.
4. Vehicle traveling in wrong direction: Traveling in a non-specified route is cause of concern for toll plaza authorities. In case of ambulances, traveling in wrong direction might be fatal for accident victims. With this state of art solution authorities will get immediately about vehicle route deviation.
5. Control on over speed: The patrolling vehicles have to travel within a specified speed for performing their task effectively. And their stoppage or idle time at particular location is supportive information for the maintenance of the highway.